Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My unique beauty

Let it be known that I don't wear make-up, paint my nails or dye my hair. I choose this, not because I don't want to be pretty, but because I want a beauty that is not purchased.
My skin is nearly flawless because of good nutrition and plenty of natural sun. I have and will develop lines and wrinkles, signifying my joy and laughter rather than pain. Why should I try to cover my joy?
Rather than being covered by expensive jewelery or unnatural colors, my hands are strong, capable and ready for whatever work may be required. My hair is lightened by the sun, curly and wild by Divine design. It contains strands who's color and texture signify the struggles I've been through and whose length signifies my ability to survive.
Maybe my naturality makes me a tom-boy, but I've never known a tom-boy to own pink and lace by choice.
I realize that all of this may not make me the epitome of beauty. As the lines of a song I used to sing for church remind me, "I may not be every woman's dream for her little girl. My face may not grace the minds of everyone in the world." (Amy Grant, Father's Eyes) The song continues and tells of a beauty found in the eyes of the Father and hopefully in mine as well.
This is me. I am the strong, capable, loving woman I was created to be. My scars, lines, sags and grey hairs make it known that I am alive.

No comments: