Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hundred Year Flood

Today I survived an historical event. The city of Franklin was flooded worse than it has flooded in over 100 years. The rain started last night and didn't stop until late this morning. The waters rose and kept rising. I went outside for the first time at about 11AM to find that Jefferson St through downtown Franklin was flooded about a block from my house. A little later, about 1PM, I walked down Edwards St to find that it was starting to flood.

It was definately an interesting daay. I watched neighbors helping neighbors. I watched peoples lives being swept away by rising water. I watched a scene I never thought I'd see.

If you watched the news at all today I'm sure that you saw it. They said it reminded them of the scenes after Hurricane Katrina.

I was very lucky. The waters crested about a half block from my house in 2 directions. Johnson county was placed under a state of emergency. People were instructed to stay in their homes. People had to be rescued by canoe and some refused to leave.

Later in the evening my family came into town. They had to take my sister's friend home who spent the night with them last night. They picked me up and took me to dinner for my birthday.
(Side note: They took me to Mi Pueblo, my favorite Mexican restaurant. They sang some kind of Spanish Happy Birthday song to me and smashed whipped cream in my face. Quite fun. Great meal!)

When they were trying to take me home the police stopped us and said they weren't allowed to let anyone in. They finally gave in when we told them that my road was clear and that I had to get home. My neighbors told me that earlier in the day they were checking IDs to be sure that only people who lived here could get in.

Pretty crazy day, but I made it through. I'm sure the clean up will be a long process. Please pray for these people as they get their homes and lives back. Some had flood insurance, others didn't. Those who did face steep deductibles before they can start receiving money. It will be a long road. Thanks for your concern!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been thinking of you all day because of the flood. I saw a picture of one of the fraternity houses at Franklin and it was weird. I couldn't believe what happened. I am glad that your house was okay. I couldn't find the photo album described in your next post.